Retirement is the pinnacle of a person’s career. Finally, a person has come full circle and can go back to exploring life outside of work. This is one of the most exciting times in a person’s life and one where they will be able to use a little inspiration to help them through the phase. Retirement gift ideas are definitely in order and will allow you to be able to give the retiree a sendoff that they will truly love.
Hobby-related items are definitely the one thing that a person will want during this time in their life. While we all chase retirement, we often come to the point when we will become rather bored with retirement. This, however, can be alleviated with a few hobby-related items that can keep us occupied. These items must be personal and can change from one person to the next. Since this is the case, you will want to be able to:
- Determine a person’s hobby. This can be done by looking around their office to see if any pictures or memorabilia give a clue as to what the person enjoys. When in doubt, asking their spouse or a former co-worker may prove to be beneficial.
A Weekend Getaway
If the retiree is a person that you know well, such as a close friend or family member, you may want to splurge and send them on a weekend getaway that they will never forget. Depending on where you live, this may be to another state or region of your country. However, there are also some other options that will certainly make a retiree extremely happy. These options include:
- A cruise to nowhere: These cruises literally depart and stay in the middle of the water. There is no destination, but they are still extremely fun. This is usually only for a night or two days at most.
- Train ride: Buy a person a trip that they will never forget with a train ride across the country, or at least a few hours away.
- Pampering: If the retirement is for a woman, a weekend of pampering may be in order. This can be done with a trip to the spa and the nail salon.
- Golfing: A weekend of golfing may be the perfect getaway for him. This can obviously be substituted with anything from football to fishing. If enough people can get together, you may even be able to send the newly retired on a vacation to an exotic location. This is something that family members may be able to help with.
A Memory Book
Memory books are ideal when you simply do not know what the person may like. This is often given from a boss or co-worker that simply wants the person to remember the good times at a company. This memory book can be filled with milestones that the company made because of the person retiring, or it could be pictures taken throughout the year. This is one of the more sentimental retirement gift ideas that can be altered to work for any person.